Saint Helen's Master Planning
Our History ...
- May 3, 1931, St. Helen's Catholic Church was dedicated. Prior to the new church being built, the Catholics in Georgetown had no "official place" to celebrate Mass. Their liturgies were often held in homes, tents and even a freight boxcar.
- Father Patrick O'Reilly, the founder of St. Helen's, built a Church, which served the spiritual enrichment for Catholics for years to come.
- For 53 years, the sacraments were celebrated at St. Helen's first home.
- In the late 1970s, St. Helen's experienced growth, which led to the building of a new church. In 1978 Bishop Harris signed a contract to purchase 15 acres of land east of Georgetown along Highway 29.
- In October 1982, a groundbreaking ceremony was held on the new site. The Building Committee began the tremendous project of planning and constructing the new church. Many activities including Friday night bingo, bake sales and donations of time, talent and treasure enabled the building project to become a reality. On Saturday, February 11, 1984, the first Mass was offered at St. Helen's new church.
- The first rectory at the new site was a combination rectory/office (the present Pawlicki Center). Later a new rectory was built for the priests (the present Holy Family Center). A Parish Hall and a Religious Education Center were also added.
- Throughout the history of St. Helen, our growth, both spiritually and numerically has brought us again and again to major decisions. Each time we have reached a crossroad, our Catholic Community has stepped forward in faith to continue the mission of our parish.